Monday, October 5, 2009

Off Roading...

So today for whatever reason, I decide to come into work early and log some hours driving the humvee around base. The off going section supervisor is fully qualifed to take people out and drive along with them and sign off the hours logs.


After getting to base and hanging out for a bit, the off going sup. and one of his guys come rumbling up in the humvee. His guy and I switch out and we are on our way. One key thing about a humvee...NO AIR CONDITIONER!!! So I start driving off, and its just like a car only bigger and wider. We get going and I am told that he has areas on the base that make for some nice courses and push the humvee (and driver) to the limits (keeping safety in mind though)...We will see...I am also told to do exactly what he says when he says otherwise I could end up wrecking the humvee and injuring both of us....This should be fun....


I start driving and am told to head towards Army Hill. As we come up around a corner I am instructed to take it off the road and down a hill...Now at the top of the slope it doesn't look so bad...Then you start down and you think you are going to hit nose first at the bottom...it isn't until you are almost all the way down that your front wheels catch and you level out...Here comes the fun part...Getting back up...


I am told to straighten out as much as possible and crawl it back up the hill...Well I don't get it quite straight and my upward decent is stalled and I slide sideways back down...Ok straighten out a little more I am told and try again...As we start up, I go from looking at the hill to looking at the sky...I am thinking HOLY SHIT we are gonna FLIP this bitch over...But the humvee is designed to climb hills up to 60 degrees and traverse 40 degree inclines. The front wheels catch pavement, and we are now back on the road...


We head to the next obstacle which is pretty much identicle except now its the beach with more room, and less steeper slope, and now with POURING RAIN...This time I make it up with ease and a little more confidence and we press on...


After hauling ass up Army Road, we drive to the next test...The hill traverse...We take the humvee down a REALLY narrow dirt road and come to a nice incline/slope. I am told to put my humvee sideways on it and traverse it until told to straighten out. As I start my traverse, I ask my trainer "are we gonna roll?" the next few phrases are pretty much OMG OMG OMG until I straightend out and off the slope, the trainer laughing the whole time. Ok task accomplished...


We head down the hill and through the campgrounds...I am told next to drive over the curb and hit the beach...When I get on the beach I am told to throttle it and keep going (otherwise we'd get stuck) HELL YES!!! Time to haul ass across the beach. Now the tides and wash have created semi little berms which I just fly over like they are nothing...I am actually using the humvee for its intended purpose and LOVING every minute of it.


Next we head to a rock wall which with my renew'd confidence in the humvee and my adrenaline pumping, I make very short work of climbing, then its a quick hop over the curb (they don't stand a chance) and back to HQ to park the beast.


After a couple attempts I get it backed in and parked and when we get out, we notice all the sand stuck to the bottom front of the humvee and all up in the tires.


HA HA HA MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!

No comments: