Thursday, October 8, 2009

I love you Grandma Weiler.

Well I was getting ready for work today when a message came through on the computer from my dad...It turns out that my Grandma Weiler was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure, and that it is terminal...Meaning she isn't going to be with us very much longer...The doctors are sending her home to hospice. I tried to hold it in but when I tried to tell Lori, all I could do was cry...As I sit here and write this, I am doing my best to hold back the tears.

Just last August we went home for Lori's 10 year Reunion and took an entire month to visit family. While we were in town we went and visited my grandmother at her house for dinner. On the way there we turned a two hour car trip into a four hour car by trusting a GPS. We had to keep constantly calling my grandma to find our way but we finally managed to get there.

I helped my aunt with a couple things while grandma got dinner started. Then we got back to the house and my aunt started helping with dinner while Lori and I hung around the kitchen. It was nice to just sit there and chat and make jokes. For my grandma's age she is sharp as a tack when it comes to witty humor and jokes.

Dinner was pretty much the same; chatting, and bantering. Afterwards, we all settled in the living room. Lori and Aunt Cathy carried on their own little conversation while grandma and I watched the news. Afterwards the Seahawks game was coming on, but the channel was changed to a cooking show. Guess grandma wasn't a football or Seahawks fan LOL. The cooking show turned out to be much more entertaining.

The sun started to set and Lori and I decided rather than get lost around Clear Lake and Yelm in the dark, it was time to head home while we could still find our way out. We bid farewell to my grandma and my aunt and made plans to visit again next time we were in town. As we were backing out of the driveway my grandma waved to us and then stood there. As we got the car straightened out on the road we waved one last time and then headed off.

I look back on this memory and all the other memories I have shared with my family, and have learned that life is very short. You never know or wonder, when you see someone that if thats the last time you will see them.

I close this entry with this: Make time to spend time with family, loved ones, and friends. Cherish each and every moment, because you just never know when or if you will see each other again.

No comments: