Friday, September 11, 2009

8 years ago...

Well another night passes here at work and I am working as Dispatcher/Desk Sergeant. Today I am a Master At Arms 2nd Class stationed in Okinawa Japan.

8 years ago I was an Aviation Electronics Technician Airman stationed aboard USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) I still remember the vivid details of the day which would changed the lives of everyone.

We were on our way to the Persian Gulf to support Operation Southern Watch. I remember waking up for work (I worked nights) There was an odd silence about the berthing...Usually there is laughter and banter and the tv blaring the evening movie...But not that day.

I got dressed and walked around the corner to see my fellow sailors huddled around the tv watching the news. There was a breaking story that a plane had crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center. I had some time before I had to report to work so intrigued by the breaking news, I found a seat and quietly joined the group.

We sat there and watched for a bit...What we saw next could only be described as something you see in Hollywood. We all watched in horror as another plane smashed directly into the South Tower of the WTC...America was under attack.

Less than a month later (Oct 7th 2001) America would launch a massive campaign (Operation Enduring Freedom) in Afghanistan determined to find Osama Bin Laden and those responsible for the attacks on the United States.

I remember Sept 11th and will never forget.

No comments: