Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bad Boys Bad Boys....

Well a couple days ago I managed to apprehend my first suspect...Basically it was suppose to be a normal day at the gate checking IDs for the next 12 hours and what not...

At around 0638 we got a BOLO (Be On the LookOut) from Marine Corps Airstation Futenma for a service member who was involved in a hit and run accident...Our orders: Stop and take into custody...Sure out of all the bases with all the gates on the island, what are the odds he would show up at our gate...Pretty slim to none considering we had a BOLO the day prior and the guy was picked up at a base a little further up the road from us.

Well it is getting to be around lunch time and we have the information on our suspect in the backs of our minds and we are carrying about our day checking IDs and what not. As I am coming out of the guard house my partner appears with an ID card for me to look at...It belongs to our suspect...HOLY SHIT now things get REAL.

Now we had gone over scenarios for this earlier in the morning just in case he came through the gate...He is here now what? Can't block him in with traffic, time to calmly pull him to the side then quickly and decisively take control and get our suspect into custody.

I very calmly ask our suspect to pull over just behind the guard house...After that I basically went into auto pilot and my partner and I took up tactical positions on the vehicle...I very calmly ask him to turn off the car, step out and face away from the sound of my voice...I quickly get a "what?" from the suspect (he is off guard) my tone becomes louder and suddenly everything I learned now kicks in:

"STEP OUT OF THE CAR
FACE AWAY FROM THE SOUND OF MY VOICE
ARMS OUT PALMS TOWARDS ME, THUMBS DOWN
SPREAD YOUR FEET
NOW PLACE YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK
INTERLOCK YOUR FINGERS
BEND AT THE WAIST
NOW DON'T MOVE"

I have my partner cover me while I move in to cuff him, and like that the situation is over our suspect is in custody and we call our patrol to come get him. My partner and I excited over a job well done and even more so when we get a phone call from our flight chief congratulating us both for our actions.

No comments: