Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Rollin Code 3....

Ok so today was the usual day at Camp Shield's Post. Go into work, arm up, run RADAR most of the day, then check ID's for the last 2-3 hours of shift and then go home...Well today started going as planned up until right before it was time to leave...

We were sitting in our office when we heard sirens...Not unusual for Okinawa considering drivers always running into each other (nother story for nother time) This time, the sirens were getting louder and closer, then next thing we know we see a fire truck appear at our gate...Lights, Sirens the whole 9 yards.

Before he can make it through the gate, the adrenaline kicks in and I am running across the street to my Tonka Truck (Patrol Vehicle) and in doing so manage to drop my radio. I pick my radio up and hop in my truck and hit my lights, code lights, and start backing out of my parking spot....Damn I knew I should've backed in earlier. The truck roars by me as I am backing out and getting turned around.

I hit the siren and horn and am off to catch up...Now on C/S there is a hill that goes up into housing, so I have to play catch up and then struggle to keep up...Then of course I lose sight of the fire truck...I know how do you lose sight of something that big and red with lights and siren right? Out of the corner of my eye I catch his code lights and finally catch up behind him.

We wind our way through housing until we make it to where the call came from. I get the info from the call and check to see if I am needed and then head back down to the station. I got back as the other shift was arriving so it was time to download and go home, the adrenaline didn't wear off till about an hour later when I had gotten home and started to relax.

No comments: