Thursday, December 4, 2008

PULL OVER!!!

Today I was assigned to stand post at Camp Shields which is a Navy Seabee base here on Okinawa. Normally the watch consists of 8 hours of boredom doing nothing but helping our Japanese Security and watching the gate from the comfort of our guard shack...Oh and the occasional helping check ID's...Some people would kill for a job like that...Me I find it BORING!!!

I was told that one of the guys knows how to operate the RADAR Gun...UH OH, Eddie is about to find a new toy to play with and a way to kill the day's boredom. Once my partners shows me how to setup and run the gun, I am off...

I set up in front of the front guard shack and start clocking cars coming in, tee hee hee this is FUN!!! I don't get any speeders because we already have a RADAR telling them their speed, and of course I am in front of them with my RADAR gun. So I switch from there to the adjacent parking spaces where I nab my first speeder of the day...Gotta love the loudspeaker (PULL OVER) 36kph in a 15kph zone. With the help of my Japanese counterpart I issue a ticket and send him on his way, then I get another car...Soon I discover that I am not getting people on the inbound lane...However on the outbound I noticed people tend to accelerate rather quickly in what is still 15kph...I move to a better intercept point and its game on...

Sure enough I start getting them one by one coming out, this time I have to be quick on the gun and the PA, I issue a couple more tickets and several warnings...I finally found something I like to do (Run RADAR not write tickets) So this went on for about 4 hours and I managed to piss off a couple drivers, one crumpled his ticket and threw it on the floor and one I am sure her daughter thinks I am just this awful guy because mommy said "I wouldn't let her turn the car back on." (Standard procedure is to have the driver turn off the car, remove the keys from the ignition and then place them on the dash)

That was pretty much it for my day, hopefully I will get more practice working RADAR and doing more traffic enforcement.

2 comments:

Terry said...

Eddie: I'f you're interested. Photos of MCB-11 on Okinawa 1964-65

www.seabee-rvn/mcb-11

maurice de Young said...

I LOVE OKINAWA TOOOOO I A CB W/MCB 11 64/ 65 W/ THE BATTALION IN 66 GO'N TO WAR A USNR EXTENED 4 A DANANG DEPLOYMENT COOL PHOTOS OF OKINAWA . I POSTEDA FEW IN MCB 11 ASSOC. SITE BUT U WILL SEE MORE ON SMUG MUG SEABEE RVN MCB 11 ) I WILL START TO SCAN ALL OKINAWA I FINISHED THE NAM 35MM SLIDES . A CB ( TERRY SAYED 2 U HE ) POSTED MY PH ON SMUG MUG SEABEE RVN ) MY NOT COPYWRIGHT PH YOUR T 2 THE NORTHERN IS 1 I TOOK, LOCAL BUS MEMORIES. TRIPS TO NAGO , THE KIDS . YOUNG/ OLD A DELITE A SHUTER BUG, KINSER WAS HOME, A QUANSET HUT CAMP CBS ARE AT SHIELDS FROM OUR BATTALION KIA. 65, NAM. A MCB11 BEE & AWARED THE MEDAL OF HONOR .OKINAWA WAS LAYBACK. I WAS P.O IN C
OF DRAFTING AFTER WORK THE BEST CHOW WAS IN THE GALLEY NOT A IN CAMP EM CLUB TYPE 1964 A MOVIE. OR /PX/AT KADENA EM CLUB / OR SUKARAN FLOOR SHOW / EA. WEEK END SPECAL S GAVE A TOUR, ALL AROUND HE BOXED THE COMPAS. ISH-KA-WA BCH. T VILLAGES ABAVE THE NO. TRANING AREA , TO THE NO.TIP OF OKINAWA, E PILE MEMORIAL TO THE W. NAGO TO THE BACK ALLYS OF NAHA, RIYUBO DEPARMENT STORE. SMALL SHOPS, WOOD /GLASS/ KOA SHI GAWA POTERY, AT SHURY U OF OKI .THE SHURY POND &
BEN GA TA DIE WORKES SHURY / THE NAMNUE AREA. WE VISETED THESE AND MORE I WENT BACK IN 65 COLOR35MM SLIDES SOME POSTED , I BE FRIEND A ELEM. SCHOOL T A ROUND EYE AT THE HOBBY SHOP @ I TAUGHT HER TO US THE WHEEL. SHE HAD A VESPA WE WENT EVERY WERE ONE WAS OFF THE CLIFS ON THE PENNESULA TO WEST OF KADENA THERE WAS A WW2 AIR FIELD, TO THE NORTH SIDE IN THE MIDDLE THERE ARE PATHES ALL A ALONG GO'N DOWN TO THE BEACH PLEASE RSVP MAURICE deyoung@bellsouth.netmaurice