Friday, November 28, 2008

A Helping Hand...

So today I was on my way to work, and I was in a line of cars waiting at an intersection. I see the light up ahead is a red light. The van in front of our line for some reason only known to that driver decides to go through the light anyway I see a car out of nowhere (which has the right of way) coming from the left on the cross street. Now it appeared they were just going to miss each other...

At that point things kind of slowed down and I watched as the two vehicles impacted with a loud bang and then a screeching stop. Our light goes green and people start moving. I get to the intersection and pull off to render assistance, as others just pass completely oblivious to what had just happened.

I go to the van first and am assured by the driver and passengers that they are ok. I then go to the little white car and find that its driver is not so lucky. At first it didn't appear as if she was moving, but once we got the car door open she was coming to. I ask her if she is ok and tell her that I know first aid and will help her. Don't think she understood.

I climb into the backseat and do the best I can to stabilize her neck until the paramedics arrive. Fortunately some of the bystanders understood english and told her to quit moving. The medics were on scene within minutes and started tending to the woman.

I stand around and wait for the JP's (Japanese Police) as I am thanked by several Okinawans for stopping to help. The JP's arrive and with a brief struggle of the language barrier and then the help of an interpreter (via phone) I am able to give them my side of the story and then head off to work.

I am kind of taken back by the whole thing in what I saw, there was maybe one other person who stopped briefly to help but everyone else kept on driving....I am not sure if it is a cultural thing or what but it just left me kind of puzzled.

No comments: